Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Chinese New Year

Just one more day till CNY finally arrives.Yay!! Woohooo!! =) Hence, today is officially the eve of CNY..I'm sure that a majority of Chinese will be all busy cleaning the house once more (like my family), doing some last minute shopping and wrapping extra angpau ( hmm..sounds familar?) LOL! Most importantly, getting ready to attend their reunion dinner. Yeap..no matter how small your family is, a reunion dinner is a definite must and I agree that it should remain as a tradition or custom( not sure). Anyway, it's a time for everyone in the family to get together and enjoy a nice and yummy dinner and just catch up with each other.


No doubt as a little kid, I had always enjoyed this celebration.hehe! From the wrapping the angpaus, helping my nanny make honeycomb cookies (used to), decorating the house, lion dances *roar*, visiting friends and relatives, and of course collecting angpau $$$$$ and eating yummy cookies *drools*..I absolutely love being involved in the whole process..So despite me being still sick right now, nothing is going to stop from enjoying CNY at all. Haha!


After all these years, I noticed that I'm a person who is really fascinated by all the old folk tales, customs and traditions of my race la of course...so I tend to follow most of the customs that we are required to follow during CNY like for example, on the 1st day of CNY we are actually not allowed to sew or cut anything because it will be like either preventing the God of Wealth from giving you money or losing all the money the God of Wealth has given you...but of course for those people who have to cook, it's alright...haha! I know you guys are probably thinking that I'm such a superstitious person. Lol! Don't fret, cause I'm not someone whose really old okay....haha..I'm just someone who loves and is very fascinated by my traditions and customs. It would really be a waste if our ancient tradition,which has been followed by many generations, be lost and nobody will ever know the true meaning behind each tradition and tale.


So stay true to your roots! Appreciate it before it goes extinct.


By the way, I'll be going back to my hometown..so there won't be any post but not to worry as I will post up how I spent my CNY when I come back...hehe!

Till then..Happy Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fatt Choi! :)

* hope you guys get tons of angpau :p *

1 comment:

indierocker said...

thanks, i didnt know when CNY was, till i got into your blog while blogsurfing... happy new year then!